Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Taking photos by our back "pond"!

Yesterday afternoon I went in the back near our "pond" and had fun snapping photos of the wild fowl that were there! A few years ago the back pasture was dry, but then someone, who owns the land adjacent to ours, had the drainage tiles taken out that had been there for years. Since then we have had a marshy area and a pond of sorts in the back pasture. We were kind of disappointed about it at first, because we used to have a path mowed back there that we enjoyed walking on. But we have come to very much enjoy all of the wild life that the water has drawn! We have fun watching them from the house while we eat our meals! (Last year we had a special treat of seeing two beautiful swans in our pond!)

This pair of geese were resting in the tall grasses in the edge of the pond when I first went out, but then they decided to go for a swim!


After a little while, though, they came out onto the waters edge.








This one stood like this for quite a while!......


...while this one scrounged around nearby for something to eat.


I thought these were ducks, but I was just looking in one of our bird identification books and found out that they are not ducks! They are "American Coots".


I should sit out there more often and take pictures! I never know what types of birds I may end up seeing! I know there have been Wood Ducks on the pond, but they weren't there yesterday afternoon while I was out there. Someday I hope to get a picture taken of them.

Well, that was my photo "snapping" time by the back "pond"! I am looking forward to doing it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment